Saturday, November 14, 2009

BLUE HERON


The night turns blue --
into the starfishes of your eyes in front of me.
I stand as a blue heron, motionless,
peering along salt water:

stars have looked at me,
crawled onto pearl and coral necklaces,
and ascended to the sky,
leaving the two wandering silver fishes of your pupils
to stand against a stream.

The stream water reaches one knee,
the salt water reaches another,
the cold water reaches the ribs,
the transparent water reaches the breast.
I'll be drowned in myself
if the water doesn't burst through my eyes.

I have no way to read your thoughts
because the words and letters leap around
as silver fishes, as if I were dislexic.
I catch only the sounds of their movements.

I am frozen in the balance
between you and myself.
Is it possible to hold on
on one leg?

The water
like the glass in a telescope, fingerprints of observers on it,
approaches me at the bottom
but doesn't clear things;
I am unbelievably small,
the world is unbelievably vast.
The whole world has frozen in my marrow.

I'm losing balance on purpose,
and silver fishes vanish.

I make an effort,
spread the wings
and fly above
you.
In you.

Heron.
Blue heron
in the salt
water.



Блакитна чапля

Ніч виростає синьо
у морських зірках твоїх очей передо мною.
Я стою блакитною чаплею нерушно,
вдивляючись крізь солону воду:

зірки глянули на мене,
поповзли по коралях та перлинах
та й зійшли на небо,
лишивши дві блукаючі срібні рибки своїх зіниць
протистояти течії.

Вода гіркотна -- по одне коліно,
вода солона -- по друге,
вода холодна -- по ребра,
вода прозора -- по груди:
затону у самій собі,
якщо не прорветься... по очі.

Я не здатна читати твої думки,
бо слова і літери стрибають навколо
срібними рибками, як ув діслексії,
я ловлю лише звуки їхнього руху.

Я застигла у рівновазі
між тобою й собою,
та хіба втриматися на одній нозі?
Чапля.
Блакитна чапля у солоній воді.

Вода,
як скло телескопу, замацане спостерігачами,
наближає до дна, та не прояснює речей;
я -- неймовірно маленька,
світ -- неймовірно великий.
Цілий світ завмерз у моєму спинному мозку.

Я втрачаю рівновагу навмисно,
і срібні рибки щезають миттєво.
Я роблю зусилля,
розпахую крила
і лечу понад
тобою.
В тобі.

Чапля.
Блакитна чапля
у солоній
воді.

No comments:

Post a Comment